Visiting a park is usually a cheap date idea, but it's nice to save the entrance fee which typically ranges $5-20. There are 392 national parks, 100+ of which usually charge the entrance fee. Mark your calendars for the Annual Free Entrance Days during:
- National Park Week (April 17-25th)
- Public Lands Day (Sept 25th)
- Veteran's Day (Nov 11th).
The slideshow above are pictures from our day trip to Joshua Trip exactly one year ago, just in time for the wild flowers. Here are a few of my personal favorites that are a good day trip or weekender from LA and OC. If you are a fan of hiking and camping, the first one on the list is an easy one to do.
- Cabrillo National Monument in San Diego (tide pools, Old Point Loma Lighthouse)
- Joshua Tree National Park (the wild flowers should be blooming again, great for rock climbing)
- Sequoia National Park
- Yosemite National Park
- Click HERE for the complete list of 100+ FREE national parks listed by state.
In addition to bringing a picnic or backpack with plenty of water, sun block, sun glasses, hats and a camera, walkie talkies are optional but useful for a group date. For other outdoorsy date ideas, check out Cheap Date Idea #117 at The Flower Fields until Mother's Day and Cheap Date Idea #124 at Anza-Borrego until mid-April. Have fun!
Approximate cost of creative date idea = Free Admission.
Actual value of the cheap date idea = $5-20 Entrance fee per car.