Admission to the SEA Lab is free every day (closed on Mondays), but donations are always appreciated (recommended $4 for family and $2 for individual). This place is more than an aquarium because the SEA Lab's mission is to rescue animals. In doing so, we can enjoy these sea creatures up close and personal in the indoor and outdoor exhibits. Free tours are available upon request. The SEA Lab is a family-friendly spot, perfect for kids (like me in the photo below) who want to touch and feel *safely* at a touch tank.
The best day to go is on the upcoming Earth Day Celebration on April 24th. From 10 AM - 2 PM that Saturday, several fun activities are planned:
- Shoe Collection: Bring your athletic shoes to be recycled into playground mats, running tracks and more.
- Clothes Collection Drive.
- Free Haircuts: On a first come, first serve basis, hair clippings will be turned into oil-absorbing hair mats for oil spills around the world.
- Bike Workshop: Donate it and get a 15% coupon for REI, or just bring your bike to help get it fixed.
- Exchange Your Plastic Bags: Trade in plastic grocery bags for a reuseuable tote bag made out of plastic bottles, while supplies last.
- Click for more info: Event Flyer and FaceBook Event Page.
Continue the fun by heading south to the Redondo Beach Pier, which is an easy 1-mile stroll, especially on a nice day. The Pier Shopping Area reminds me of a mini-Fisherman's Wharf from San Francisco. For more free aquarium fun, check out Cheap Date Idea #6 on Manhattan Beach Pier (only 5 min or 2 miles away) and Cheap Date Idea #15 in Long Beach. Better yet, click HERE for a list of FREE tide pool tours in LA & OC.
Approximate cost of creative date idea = Free Admission.
Actual value of the cheap date idea = Priceless.